What is Fairy Tail ransomware Infection?
The Fairy Tail Ransomware is the newest version of the Cryakl ransomware. This ransomware locks all the user files and asks the user to pay a ransom in order to get a decryption key. After encrypting the files it leaves a ransom note for the user that reads:
- Name: Fairy Tail Ransomware
- Targeted Operating System: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- Category: Ransomware, Malware
- Symptoms: The User files are encrypted with a .fairlytail extension, it leaves a txt ransom note
Why should I worry about Fairy Tail Ransomware?
This notorious malware infection encrypts all the important user files and adds a .fairytail ransomware extension by employing the AES algorithms which makes the files unusable for the victim. As soon as the user files are encrypted, the ransomware leaves a ransom note in order to extort money from the user.
Unfortunately, many users pay for this hefty amount and do not receive the decryption key. So, it is highly advisable for the users to invest in effective backup software and internet security suit which will help to keep your data secure even when they witness such attacks.
How did your system get infected?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malovalent Advertisments: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
How to remove Fairy Tail Ransomware?
There are many online platforms where you will be able to find a detailed list of steps to remove Fairy Tail Ransomware. It is highly advisable not to follow such long list of instructions or waste your time behind the tips to remove Ransomware because there is nothing you can do access your files without using a decryption key.
Restore the encrypted data via Windows previous version
If the system restore was enabled for both, system and user files, then you can recover your personal data through Windows Previous Version, provided the ransomware has not damaged the backup files. To restore your data follow the instructions given below –
- Open My Computer and search for the folder you want to restore.
- As soon as you find it, right click on it and choose the restore previous version option from the new window.
- This option will display all the previous copies of the folder.
- Now select restore data and through the options i.e. Open – Copy – Restore.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Sophos and Bull Guard so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.