What is Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware?
The Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware is a newly detected malware infection which was developed by cyber crooks in order to extort money from the computer users. This notorious ransomware infection is the newest version of the Globe 2 Ransomware series. This malware infection leaves a ransom note on the computer desktop in the form of a .HTA file which is called “How to restore files.hta.”
- Name: Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware
- Targeted Operating System: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- Category: Ransomware
- Symptoms: The ransomware encrypts the user data and adds a .frmvrlr2017 extension to all the important data files
Why should I worry about Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware?
The Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware is a malicious program created by crooks to encrypt the system data in order to extort ransom from the user to make the files accessible again. The crooks commit to deliver the decryption key if the user pays the ransom amount. However, most of the time the crooks do not provide the decryption key even when the user pays the ransom.
Surprisingly a majority of users pay the ransom and end up being dissatisfied. So, if your files have been encrypted by this ransomware, we suggest not to pay for their demands. Rather invest in an effective Backup software and Internet security suite that will help you to keep your data secure from such malware attacks.
How did Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware infect your system?
The cyber criminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
How to remove Turkish Globe 2 Ransomware?
There is an extensive number of malware infections which can be removed by following the malware removal guidelines. In case of ransomware infections, there is no such Ransomware removal guide. This is so because a file encrypted by a ransomware can only be recovered when you use a decryption key. So, better not to waste your time on the online Turkish Globe 2 Removal guides. However, there is a way to restore your encrypted data.
Restore the encrypted data via Windows previous version
If the system restore was enabled for both, system and user files, then you can recover your personal data through Windows Previous Version, provided the ransomware has not damaged the backup files. To restore your data follow the instructions given below –
- Open My Computer and search for the folder you want to restore.
- As soon as you find it, right click on it and choose the restore previous version option from the new window.
- This option will display all the previous copies of the folder.
- Now select restore data and through the options i.e. Open – Copy – Restore.
Tips to prevent your system from getting infected by such malware infection
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Sophos and Hitman Pro so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.