What is Scammer Locker Ransomware?
The Scammer Locker ransomware is a ransomware cryptovirus which is a variant of the HiddenTear. This Ransomware is created by a group of cybercriminals i.e. the “Jodis Hunter team” who encrypts all the important user files and shows a ransom note with the image of the scammer as shown below.
- Name: Scammer Locker Ransomware
- Targeted Operating System: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows 8/10
- Category: Ransomware
- Symptoms: The ransomware encrypts the user files and adds a .jodis extension to all the important data files
Why is Scammer Locker Ransomware dangerous?
The Scammer Locker Ransomware is a serious threat for your computer system because it is spreading at a quick pace. This ransomware has already infected an extensive number of computer users worldwide. Once a system is infected, it is impossible to decrypt the locked files without using the decryption key.
Once a computer system gets infected this malicious program encrypts all the user files like .jpg, .cab, .html, .exe, .mpeg, .txt and .bin and ads a .jodis extension to the files. That means that a simple .jpg files will turn into a .jpg.jodis making it unaccessable for the user. After encrypting the files the cybercriminals leave a ransom note which asks the user to pay the ransom in order to get the decryption key.
We suggest not paying for such hefty amounts because these cybercriminals may not deliver the decryption key even when you pay the ransom. So better not to fall for their demands and rather invest in an effective Backup software and Internet security suite that will help you to keep your data secure from such malware attacks.
How did Scammer Locker Ransomware got installed on your system?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malovalent Advertisments: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
How to remove Scammer Locker Ransomware?
A ransomware locks your important files and data and that is why there is no way you can remove this malware program without using the decryption key. So, make sure that you do not waste your time behind the Scammer Locker Ransomware removal guides made available on various online platforms. There are instances when a user goes through a detailed list of steps and end up receiving nothing at the end of the ransomware removal process.
Restore the encrypted data via Windows previous version
If the system restore was enabled for both, system and user files, then you can recover your personal data through Windows Previous Version, provided the ransomware has not damaged the backup files. To restore your data follow the instructions given below –
- Open My Computer and search for the folder you want to restore.
- As soon as you find it, right click on it and choose the restore previous version option from the new window.
- This option will display all the previous copies of the folder.
- Now select restore data and through the options i.e. Open – Copy – Restore.
Tips to prevent malware from infecting your system
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman Pro and Sophos so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying malware programs.