What is Princess Locker 2.0 Ransomware?
Princess Locker 2.0 Ransomware is a new variant of Princess Locker Ransomware. This ransomware silently intrudes a computer and uses a strong encryption algorithm to encrypt the data. In order to decrypt the data, it leaves a ransom note which asks for an amount anywhere between 0.06 to 0.18 BTC as a ransom.
- Name: Princess Locker 2.0 Ransomware
- Targeted Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/10
- Category: Ransomware, Malware
- Symptoms: It encrypts the user files, leaves a ransom note on the system and adds a random combination of characters as an extension to the files.
Why should I worry about Princess Locker 2.0 Ransomware?
Princess Locker 2.0 ransomware is a new version of the Princess locker Ransomware. This ransomware uses a payload file which is named as a ran.exe to infect the data. Once your data is encrypted, the ransomware leaves a ransom note. This ransom note asks the user to pay an extensive amount of ransom in order to deliver the decryption key, so that the data can be unlocked.
The ransomware locks the data files through strong encryption algorithms which are hard to decrypt without a decryption key. A majority of users pay this ransom amount to get the decryption key. However, the users do not gain the decryption key even when they pay the ransom amount. That is why it is much favorable to invest your money in an effective Backup Software and Internet Security suite which will be helpful for you in the long run.
How did Princess Locker Ransomware get installed on your PC?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malovalent Advertisments: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
How to remove Princess Locker 2.0 Ransomware?
If your Computer System has been infected by this ransomware then there are chances that you would be looking forward to Princess Locker 2.0 removal tool. There are many online platforms which will ask you to follow a step by step Ransomware removal guide in order to get rid of this notorious infection. Here, we highly advise not to waste your time on such tutorials because the files encrypted by a ransomware cannot be decrypted without a decryption key.
In order to decrypt the locked data, there is one thing which you can do.
Restore the encrypted data via Windows previous version
If the system restore was enabled for both, system and user files, then you can recover your personal data through Windows Previous Version, provided the ransomware has not damaged the backup files. To restore your data follow the instructions given below –
- Open My Computer and search for the folder you want to restore.
- As soon as you find it, right click on it and choose the restore previous version option from the new window.
- This option will display all the previous copies of the folder.
- Now select restore data and through the options i.e. Open – Copy – Restore.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected by malware infections –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and Bull Guard so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.