What is Iron Ransomware?
The Iron ransomware is an updated version of the Maktub Ransomware. This malware infection encrypts all the system data with the help of an RSA algorithm. As per the security experts, the developers of this malware program have used the layout from the DMA Locker Ransomware.
After encrypting the data files, this ransomware leaves a ransom note on the computer system that is called as “!HELP_Your_FILES.HTML”. This ransom note displays the same information as given below.
- Name: Iron Ransomware
- Targeted Operating System: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 8/10
- Category: Ransomware
- Symptoms: Hinders system performance and encrypts all the data files on the system
Why is Iron Ransomware dangerous for your computer system?
The Iron Ransomware is a dangerous malware infection that can gain complete access to the user’s computer system and implement various strategies to exploit the computer users. This ransomware infection can lock your data files that cannot be recovered without a decryption key. Once these data files are encrypted, the ransomware leaves a ransom note on the computer system that asks the user to pay a hefty amount of ransom to get the decryption key.
This ransomware adds a .encry extension to all the data files. For eg. the data files with Doc.jpg will change to Doc.jpg.encry. Generally, the system users pay this hefty amount of ransom and do not get the decryption key in return. That is why it is highly recommended not to fall for such tricks. Rather invest your hard earned money on an effective backup and internet security software that can guard you against such brutal malware attacks in the future.
How did Iron Ransomware get installed on your PC?
The cyber criminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
How to remove Iron Ransomware?
Using a decryption key is the only way of unlocking the encrypted data. There are many online platforms that will offer you a ransomware removal guide but unfortunately, none of them can provide a full-fledged solution to recover all the encrypted data files. That is why; it is highly advisable not to waste your time on such ransomware removal guides. In case your system’s data has been locked then the best thing you can do is restore the encrypted data through the windows previous version.
Restore the encrypted data via Windows previous version
If the system restore was enabled for both, system and user files, then you can recover your personal data through Windows Previous Version, provided the ransomware has not damaged the backup files. To restore your data follow the instructions given below –
- Open My Computer and search for the folder you want to restore.
- As soon as you find it, right click on it and choose the restore previous version option from the new window.
- This option will display all the previous copies of the folder.
- Now select restore data and through the options i.e. Open – Copy – Restore.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like 360 Total Security and Bull Guard so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.