Guide to remove Search.hshipmenttracker.co
Search.hshipmenttracker.co is a nasty browser malware. It attacks the system by bundling applications and hijacks your web browsers. As a result, it changes the homepage and search engine to ‘Shipment Tracker New Tab Search’.
This malicious extension could be installed in your system with or without your knowledge. The sole purpose of this browser redirect virus is to modify your search engine settings.
||Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox
Search.hshipmenttracker.co – The deceptive application seems completely appropriate by its appearance. However, it is categorized as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) and a Browser Hijacker.
It infiltrates your system and modifies the web search engine in the computer. It will change your default search provider to Shipment Tracker New Tab Search. On the top of it, the nasty browser virus will redirect all your search results to ‘search.yahoo.com’.
Apart from the edited settings, the browser hijacker, records your information and immediately send them to the third party. The gathered information may include your personal or non-personal information.
Shipment Tracker browser virus eventually lead to privacy issues or identity theft. Hence, it is advisable to instantly delete Search.hshipmenttracker.co from your system.
The major reason for the infiltration of ‘Search.hshipmenttracker.co’ browser hijacker is the careless behavior and lack of information of the users.
Hence, anyone can install this browser hijacker at its official website. However, hackers proliferate this browser redirect virus via unnecessary advertisements and bundling. Bundling is the deceptive marketing method, whereby the third party application is stealthily installed with the regular software.
The intrusive advertisements are designed to direct the user to various suspicious websites. In addition, it downloads the malicious programs/applications without your knowledge. Developers, hide these malicious applications generally in the ‘Custom/Advanced’ settings of the installation process.
Users have a tendency to rush these steps while installing any application/software. As a result, malicious browser virus infiltrates in their system. It is the reckless behavior of the users that they expose their system to risk and various infections.
As suggested by the name – Browser redirect virus, it targets the most popular browsers on the affected system. After successfully infiltrating the system, the Search.hshipmenttracker.co hijacks the web browsers found on your system. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox are the major targets of this malicious browser malware.
After infecting the aimed web browsers, it modifies their new tab URL, default search engine and homepage to Search.hshipmenttracker.co. This nasty browser hijacker virus, redirects the search results to yahoo search engine. Apart from redirecting the search results, it tracks and records your browsing history as well.
On the top of it, the recorded information is shared with the third party, which is used to generate revenue by misusing the details.
Hence, it is a serious privacy threat or even identity theft. It is strongly recommended to Uninstall Search.hshipmenttracker.co ASAP.
Personal Information comprises of the data that indentifies you. It may include:
- First and Last Name
- E-Mail Address
- Physical Address
- Telephone Number
- Billing Information
The Non-Personal Information does not specifically identify you. It may include:
- Device IP Address
- Search Data
- Geographical Location
- Type of Browser you are using
All the collected information can be misused to generate revenue. In addition, the cyber criminals can retain your information for as long as they wish to.
Removal guidelines of Search.hshipmenttracker.co
STEP A: Remove malicious extension from your Browser
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to ……………. and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
- On your Mac Desktop, click on the option that reads “Safari”.
- A drop down menu will appear as shown below. From this menu chose the option that reads “Preferences”.
- The Preferences window will appear on the screen, where the list of all your safari extensions will be shown.
- On the list displayed at the left side of the screen, select the Extension you want to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to get rid of the extension.
STEP B: Show hidden Files & Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the file explorer toolbar, click on the View
- In the Show/hide section, Click on the “Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the options button.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab.
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
STEP C: Restart your Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines () which are at the top right corner of the computer screen.
- A Drop down menu will be displayed. On this menu click on the “Help” () button as shown in the image below. The Help menu will be displayed on the screen.
- From this menu click the option that reads “Troubleshooting information“. A new tab will open up with the <strong”>Troubleshooting information.
- On the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the button that reads “Refresh Firefox” as shown in the image below.
- The “Refresh Firefox” message box will pop up on the screen. On this message box click on the “Refresh Firefox” button.
- After this Firefox will close itself and a new window will be displayed which will list the information that is imported. Click on the option that reads “Finish” to complete the task.
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) which is at the top right corner of the computer screen. A drop down menu will appear on the screen. From this menu choose the option that reads “Settings”.
- The Chrome’s settings window will be displayed on the screen. On this screen scroll through the bottom of the page and click on the option that reads “Advanced option” as shown below.
- The Advanced setting options will be displayed on the screen. Scroll through the list of options till you find the “ Reset browser settings” section. Click on the icon as shown below.
- The reset dialogue box will pop up on the screen. From this dialogue box click on the button that reads “Reset”.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon ( ) which is at the top right corner of the browser screen. A drop down menu will be displayed on the screen. From this drop down menu, click on the option that reads “Internet options”.
- The “Internet options” dialogue box will be displayed. Click on the “Advanced” tab. In the Advanced tab click on the button that reads “Reset” as shown in the image below. The “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” section will be displayed on the screen. Now click on the button that reads “Reset” .Precautions: In this dialogue box make sure to uncheck the “Delete Personal settings” option to save your passwords and other important data.
- When it’s done, click on the button that reads “Close” to complete the task. Now close and reopen your browser.
Tips to Prevent your System from Search.hshipmenttracker.co
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and Hitman so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.