MyStreamingTab is a malicious browser extension deemed as a browser hijacker. Configured to exhibit intrusive behavior, invasion of the system by this malice results in the replacement of homepage and search engine with https://www.mystreamingtab.com/.
MyStreamingTab redirect inveigles user to download the pernicious program by claiming to provide:
- Favorite movies and the latest movie related news in one spot!
- Easy access to favorite streaming content.
The UI of this rogue application contains links to various streaming services & video contents that may appear useful and compel users to retain the malefic program.
MyStreamingTab may appear relatively harmless yet can inflict damage comparable to a heinous virus. The main motive behind this nasty application is to generate unethical revenue by advertising sponsored products & services. This is achieved by modifying the existing browser settings without user consent.
Let us sneak a peek into the array of negatives the user lands in when MyStreamingTab browser hijacker invades the system.
Threats posed by MyStreamingTab Browser Hijacker
The infestation of MyStreaming Browser Hijacker in the system leads to:
- The malicious browser add-on replaces the home page, search engine & new tab with https://www.mystreamingtab.com/.
- User queries are directed to https://search.yahoo.com. It’s a mere trick to deceive users to believe that the search results are genuine. However, the results may be inaccurate & in most cases direct users to third party web pages that may be malicious.
- MyStreamingTab Browser Hijacker keeps an eye on user browsing activities & pervasively tracks important information related to user interest & identity. This is done to siege the browser screen with relevant ads to attain undivided attention of users. These ads & pop-ups are however intrusive & an accidental or deliberate click on these may act as a door to other system threats.
- Sluggish System Behavior: The installation of this forged app may cause other delusive apps to run in the background without user knowledge. This may render system sluggish and also may lead to malfunctioning of the system and other installed application.
- Personal Information: This includes identifiers such as:
- Your IP addresses
- Contact Information. For example, phone number, email id, address etc
- Non- Personal information: These include technical information about the system like:
- Type of browser,
- Type of user device,
- Language preferences,
- Clicks and visited pages,
- Search logs,
- The operating system,
- Utilized internet service provider and other similar information
The collected information is leveraged to:
- Sign up for any of the affiliated services,
- Process data for direct marketing or online identifiers,
This information may also be sold to third parties for money or abused to extort users.
It is therefore recommended to protect your system from this hazardous threat. As soon as its existence is discovered, victims are requested to act towards its deletion. The following guidelines will help you get rid of the malicious extension from the system.
How did MyStreamingTab Browser Hijacker invade your system?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Safari
Targeted Operating System: Windows & MAC
Category: Browser Hijacker
- Homepage, new tab and search engine are replaced with https://search.yahoo.com.
- Appearance of sponsored ads and pop-ups
How to Remove MyStreamingTab Browser Hijacker?
STEP A : Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “cbbcmgladbpplbjakofelndebdolklfd”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “cbbcmgladbpplbjakofelndebdolklfd”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to MyStreaming Browser Hijacker and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
- On your Mac Desktop, click on the option that reads “Safari”.
- A drop down menu will appear as shown below. From this menu chose the option that reads “Preferences”.
- The Preferences window will appear on the screen, where the list of all your safari extensions will be shown.
- On the list displayed at the left side of the screen, select the Extension you want to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to get rid of the extension.
STEP B: Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the file explorer toolbar, click on the View
- In the Show/hide section, Click on the “Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the options button.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab.
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
STEP C: How To Reset Your Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines () which are at the top right corner of the computer screen.
- A Drop down menu will be displayed. On this menu click on the “Help” () button as shown in the image below. The Help menu will be displayed on the screen.
- From this menu click the option that reads “Troubleshooting information“. A new tab will open up with the <strong”>Troubleshooting information.
- On the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the button that reads “Refresh Firefox” as shown in the image below.
- The “Refresh Firefox” message box will pop up on the screen. On this message box click on the “Refresh Firefox” button.
- After this Firefox will close itself and a new window will be displayed which will list the information that is imported. Click on the option that reads “Finish” to complete the task.
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) which is at the top right corner of the computer screen. A drop down menu will appear on the screen. From this menu choose the option that reads “Settings”.
- The Chrome’s settings window will be displayed on the screen. On this screen scroll through the bottom of the page and click on the option that reads “Advanced option” as shown below.
- The Advanced setting options will be displayed on the screen. Scroll through the list of options till you find the “ Reset browser settings” section. Click on the icon as shown below.
- The reset dialogue box will pop up on the screen. From this dialogue box click on the button that reads “Reset”.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon ( ) which is at the top right corner of the browser screen. A drop down menu will be displayed on the screen. From this drop down menu, click on the option that reads “Internet options”.
- The “Internet options” dialogue box will be displayed. Click on the “Advanced” tab. In the Advanced tab click on the button that reads “Reset” as shown in the image below. The “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” section will be displayed on the screen. Now click on the button that reads “Reset”. Precautions: In this dialogue box make sure to uncheck the “Delete Personal settings” option to save your passwords and other important data.
- When it’s done, click on the button that reads “Close” to complete the task. Now close and reopen your browser.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected from MyStreaming Browser Hijacker –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and Hitman Pro so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.