Guide to Remove TV Hero Extension
TV Hero Extension is a deceptive application that modifies your web-browser settings & redirects the searches to https://search.mysearch.com. Software Bundling & online advertisements are the best known propagation methods for TV Hero Browser Hijacker to spread.
TV Hero claims to be a legit search provider. It asserts to keep the users updated with the latest television news. However, a plethora of users have reported about the malicious behavior of this browser extension.
It has been declared as a (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program as it gets installed on the system with or without user’s permission. Once installed on your PC, TV Hero Extension changes default browser settings such as home-page & search engine without your permission. It redirects the searches to third-party & unreliable websites.
It is primarily capable of impacting Google Chrome browser & replacing the search engine from chrome to https://search.mysearch.com.
Read on to know how to remove TV Hero Browser Hijacker from your browser & restore the old settings.
Threat Summary of TV Hero Extension –
||It modifies default web browser settings, causes redirects & displays intrusive advertisements & pop-ups.
||It tracks your online activities & gathers crucial information such as IP Address, Browsing History, search queries & visited URLs. It can make way for other malware & trojan to enter your system.
||Download Removal Tool
Threat Behavior of TV Hero Extension –
TV Hero Extension is a browser hijacker that has been developed by APN LLC with the motive of generating illicit revenue by redirecting the web-traffic to affiliated websites. This nasty browser extension primarily distributes via software bundling & its official website, https://tvhero.thewhizmarketing.com/.
What makes TV Hero a questionable extension is its capability of getting installed on the systems with & without user’s permission.
The source website of TV Hero Browser Hijacker declares it a useful add-on for Chrome. It helps the users in following ways:
- It provides the users quick links to latest movie trailers & upcoming movies.
- It changes the New Tab to mysearch.com & provides quick access to internet.
By making such claims, the developers of TV hero are capable of swindling the users easily. Users install it on their systems thinking it is a legit application. Initially, it may appear legitimate but it is carries out a lot of malicious activities on the system after installation.
Therefore, the cyber-security analysts have flagged TV Hero Extension as a Potentially Unwanted Program.
Following are the malign activities that TV Hero carries out on the infected system:
- Alters default web-browser settings such as home-page, search engine & new tab functionality.
- Replaces the default search engine with search.mysearch.com
- Doesn’t let the user bring back the old settings. Any attempt to change the settings reassigns the settings to the malicious website automatically.
- Causes unwanted redirections & spoils the web-surfing experience.
- Intrusive Advertisements & pop-ups may appear on every website that you visit.
- The displayed ads may contain links to some affiliated web-sites.
We can conclude that, TV Hero, in no means contributes in improving online viewing experience. Rather it causes unwanted redirects & displays infuriating adverts to earn illicit revenue. In addition to that, it may open ways for other malware, Trojan & virus to enter your system.
TV Hero Browser Hijackers is not the only add-on that alters browser settings & causes redirections. Various browser redirectors such as Muzik Fury, Ecosia & eSpeedDownload claim to be a useful browser extension. However, analysis shows that they stealthy pose as a threat to user’s data privacy.
Data Gathered By TV Hero Browser Hijacker
Thorough Investigation of TV Hero Behavior found that this nasty browser extension gathers sensitive information of the users & monitors their online activities continuously.
The data gathered by TV Hero include, but is not limited to the data mentioned below:
- Name & E-mail
- Computer User Name
- IP Address
- System OS & Version
- System & User Permissions
- Installed Browser & Version
- Visited Web-pages/URLs
- Browsing History
- Search Queries
- Geographical Location
- Installation Date of Application & time spent online
- Logs the clicks made
It is clear that TV Hero is a menace to user’s data privacy & digital identity as it is capable of gathering sensitive information.
Therefore, users are advised to remove TV Hero new tab browser hijacker from their system immediately. You may refer to the removal instructions given below to get rid of TV Hero Extension.
Distribution Techniques of TV Hero Extension
The cyber-crooks behind TV Hero Extension use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Download Vipre Malware Remover
Removal Instruction for TV Hero Extension
STEP A: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “jlpafecglkplnaijkglfdmgilmnajeoc”.
- Now, un-check the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click on the “Remove” button to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “jlpafecglkplnaijkglfdmgilmnajeoc”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and re-open the Chrome browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once the extension is removed.
Step 2: Restore the settings changed by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots () located on the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- From the Drop down menu that appears, click on the “Settings”. A new browser tab will open up, displaying all the settings.
- Now, we will make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, we will enable the “Show Home Button” option. You can select New Tab page or can add Google or any of your preferred browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- After this, we will go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- After this click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can remove Other Search Engines that were added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as your Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the end, we will go to the section “On Startup”. You can select the “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, select the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any of your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very important step and we would like you to pay very close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will appear. On this menu select the last option that reads Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will appear as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the end to save the changes.
How to prevent TV Hero Extension from infecting your system
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.