Guide to Remove Speedtest-guide.com redirect
Speedtest-guide.com redirect is a nasty browser hijacker that changes the default browser settings such as home-page, search engine & new tab functionality. In addition to that, it displays annoying ads & causes infuriating redirects to dubious sites, thus deteriorating the web-browsing experience.
This rogue browser redirector claims to be a free tool that can be used to test Internet speed & customize the web search. It also enables the users to keep a track of the previous tests & access speed boosting tips.
While Speedtest-guide.com redirect appears to be a useful & legit application, the users have reported of its questionable behavior.
Firstly, to operate on a system, it requires modifying the browser settings without user’s permission. It does so to promote a fake search engine – Speedtest-guide.com. It causes unnecessary browser redirects & possesses the capability of tracking down user’s online activities & system information.
It is evident that Speed Test Guide is a Potentially Unwanted Program that poses a great threat to user’s data privacy.
Read on to know how to remove Speedtest-guide.com redirect from your system & prevent your system from getting infected with this nasty browser extension.
Threat Summary of Speedtest-guide.com redirect
||It changes default browser settings without your consent. Pop-ups ads appear on the screen while browsing & deteriorates your web-browsing experience.
||It tracks your online activities & harvests personal information such as IP Address, e-mail, Browser Type, OS Type & Geographical location.
||Download Removal Tool
Threat Behavior of Speedtest-guide.com redirect
Speedtest-guide.com has been declared as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) because of the malicious behavior it displays after installation. Software Bundling, malvertising & fake software updates are the prime techniques used by Speed Test Guide to proliferate its infection.
The overview of this program asserts to be a useful free tool that has following functionalities-
1). Internet Speed Test Tool
2). Provides Custom Web Search Functionality with New Tab
3). Configures the new tab with relevant features
4). Helps keep track of Net Speed Fluctuations
5). Helps Run multiple Speed Tests
6). Access Tips to improve Internet Speed with given quick links
7). Compare internet speed easily
While these functionalities can make Speedtest-guide.com redirect appear as a useful application, it takes over your browser soon after the installation. It makes unauthorized changes to the default browser settings including home page, search engine & new tab functionality.
The search queries are redirected to speedtest-guide.com for search results. Fake search engines are often unable to provide the accurate search results; hence they cause redirections (redirection chains) to legit ones.
In case of speedtest-guide.com, the searches are redirected to search.yahoo.com.
What makes using this browser extension more infuriating is that it prevents the user from bringing back the old settings. The browser hijacker automatically reassigns the modifications after an attempt to alter the changed settings is made.
Symptoms that make presence of Speedtest-guide.com Redirect Evident
1). Changed Browser Settings without your knowledge & consent
2). Appearance of pop-up ads,
3). Suspicious Programs in the Task Manager
4). Sluggish behavior of system & browser
5). Malware Payload may increase on your system
6). Searches are redirected to speedtest-guide.com & then to search.yahoo.com (causing redirection chains)
Malicious Activities carried Out by Speedtest-guide.com Redirect
Detailed analysis of speedtest-guide.com redirect behavior reveals that it is capable of carrying a plethora of malicious activities on the targeted system.
Here is the list of some of the malign activities:
- Searches are redirected to speedtest-guide.com
- It has data tracking abilities such as visited URLs
- Monitors user’s browsing habits
- Gathers personal information of the user such as username, e-mail & contact information
- Creates Entries in System Registry
- Launches suspicious activities in the Task Manager
- Appearance of pop-ups, banners, coupons & best deals
Data Gathered by speedtest-guide.com browser Hijacker:
Detailed analysis of Speedtest-guide.com redirect reveals that it capable of gathering sensitive information of the users from the infected systems.
The privacy policies of this Browser Hijacker reveal the private information it is capable of harvesting:
- Contact Details
- E-mail Address
- IP Address
- Geographical Location
- Browser Language, Type, Version,
- Operating System type & Version
- Your Device details, Screen Size
It is clear that the presence of Speed Test Guide Browser Hijacker is a great threat to user’s privacy & online presence. Therefore, if you find this extension appended to your Chrome, we advise you to remove Speedtest-guide.com redirect from your browser immediately.
Follow the guide mentioned below to get rid of this browser hijacker & prevent your system from its attack.
Distribution Techniques of Speedtest-guide.com redirect
The cyber-criminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Speedtest-guide browser hijacker removal instructions
Step A: Remove Speedtest-guide from the Control Panel
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
Step B: Show Hidden Files & Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and un-check the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
Step C: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extensions
1). Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.2). On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
3). Find the extensions related to Speedtest-guide.com redirect and click on the remove button.
4).In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
Step D: Restore the settings changed by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots () located on the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- From the Drop down menu that appears, click on the “Settings”. A new browser tab will open up, displaying all the settings.
- Now, we will make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, we will enable the “Show Home Button” option. You can select New Tab page or can add Google or any of your preferred browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- After this, we will go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- After this click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can remove Other Search Engines that were added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as your Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the end, we will go to the section “On Startup”. You can select the “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, select the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any of your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very important step and we would like you to pay very close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will appear. On this menu select the last option that reads Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will appear as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the end to save the changes.
How to prevent Speedtest-guide.com redirect from infecting your system
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.