Guide to remove Search.searchgdd2.com Browser Hijacker from your PC.
What is Search.searchgdd2.com?
Search.searchgdd2.com is a ‘normal’ domain at first glance but in actuality it is a harmful Browser Hijacker. This browser hijacker installs its own search toolbar in the web browser. Once the user puts a query in its search box they get redirected to popular search websites such as Google, yahoo, Bing etc. while Search.searchgdd2.com tracks all user activity.
Search.searchgdd2.com displays intrusive and unwanted pop-ups and banner ads during surfing. It makes the user frustrated due to excessive pop-ups.
Search.searchgdd2.com – Threat Behavior
Search.searchgdd2.com silently installs itself in the web browser. Its first task is to lower the web browser security settings to install its own search engine toolbar, new page and default home page. Once these settings are changed, it then starts tracking the user input and the different queries carried out by the user on other web pages.
It changes the search provider to search.searchgdd2.com then redirects all the user queries through popular websites such as Google, yahoo, Bing etc.
After Search.searchgdd2.com collects sufficient data, it controls user activity by displaying pop-ups and banner ads. These pop-ups are customized according to the user search queries to improve the chances of these pop-ups being clicked. Once clicked the user is redirected to unknown websites that may contain harmful and destructive links or start downloading files that can damage your system.
Search.searchgdd2.com browser hijacker tracks user’s private data and sends this information to the malware developers. This information may contain vital and sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, banking details, credit and debit card details.
The system responsiveness is affected due to Search.searchgdd2.com because it hogs the memory to carry out its functions. This leads to less memory for other programs which start showing lag and sometimes crash. The over-usage of CPU memory heats the hardware that can damage the key components on the motherboard.
The developers of Search.searchgdd2.com claim a lot of functionalities if the user uses this search toolbar but their main goal is to generate revenue through user clicks.
How did the search.searchgdd.com get installed on your system?
Although, most users are careful while installing software, sometimes it so happens that the user is not attentive while browsing the internet and may end up clicking a link that can download this browser hijacker to the system.
The infiltration methods used by Search.searchgdd2.com are methods which are used by almost all malware infections.
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Name – Search.searchgdd2.com
Category – Malware, Potentially unwanted Program (PuP), Browser hijacker
Browsers Affected – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge
Targeted Operating Systems – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 10
Symptoms – Search.searchgdd2.com injects its own search engine, default home page and new tab. Tracks user data, Displays intrusive and unwanted ads.
How to remove Search.searchgdd2.com from your system?
The user is advised to remove Search.searchgdd2.com from the system immediately as this browser hijacker is dangerous and can cause the system to freeze and lag and the web browser to crash frequently.
Use these browser hijacker removal steps to delete search.searchgdd2.com from the system without leaving related files in the system.
STEP A – Remove Search.searchgdd2.com From Control Panel.
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
- Click on the “Start” button on the bottom left corner of your screen. A Start menu will be displayed as shown below. From this menu select the option that reads “Control Panel”.
- In the window that will be displayed, click the option “Switch to classic view”.
- This will display all the options/icons available to you. From the displayed icons, click on the icon that reads “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Select the “Uninstall a program” option from the “Programs” category. A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Select the programs related to Search.searchgdd2.com and click on the Uninstall button.
- Right click on the “Start” button located at the lower left corner of the screen. From the Start menu, click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” Window will be displayed on the screen. Click on “Uninstall a Program” option from the “Programs” category.
- The “Programs and Features” window will be displayed on the screen. A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Scroll though the list of programs and select the programs related to Search.searchgdd2.com and then click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Right click on the “Windows logo” on the lower left side of the computer screen. From the drop down menu, select and click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” window will be displayed. From this window select “Uninstall a program” option form the “Programs” category.
- A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Select the programs related to Search.searchgdd2.com and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- In the confirmation box, click on the box that reads “OK” to save changes.
STEP B – Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the file explorer toolbar, click on the View
- In the Show/hide section, Click on the “Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the options button.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab.
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
STEP C – Remove the extensions Installed by Search.serachgdd2.com from your Browser.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “Search.searchgdd2.com”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “Search.searchgdd2.com”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to Search.searchgdd.com and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
- On your Mac Desktop, click on the option that reads “Safari”.
- A drop down menu will appear as shown below. From this menu chose the option that reads “Preferences”.
- The Preferences window will appear on the screen, where the list of all your safari extensions will be shown.
- On the list displayed at the left side of the screen, select the Extension you want to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to get rid of the extension.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman Pro and Vipre so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.