Guide to Remove MyMapsExpress Redirect
MyMapsExpress is the name of a deceptive application that belongs to the gigantic family of Browser Hijackers. Software Bundling & Free downloads are the prime methods of distribution used by MyMapsExpress Redirect Virus.
It has been considered as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) as it –
1). Gets installed into the system with or without user’s consent.
2). Causes modifications in the default web-browser settings without user’s permission.
3). Continuously monitors online activities of the user.
MyMapsExpress Redirect is capable of impacting modern browsers such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox. Once the system is infected, MyMapsExpress Toolbar changes new tab functionality & replaces the default search engine to https://www.hp.myway.com/.
It further causes unwanted redirects to hp.myway.com, rather than displaying relevant search results. Thus, it diminishes the web-browsing experience.
In case, your browser has fallen victim to MyMapsExpress Redirect, refer to our Mymapsexpress removal guide & uninstall this devious browser hijacker from your system.
Threat Summary of MyMapsExpress Redirect
||It modifies default browser settings without your consent. It restricts you from bringing the old settings.
||It continuously tracks your online activities & gathers PII Information such as IP Address, E-mail, Search Queries, Geographical Location and Browser Type & Version.
||Download Removal Tool
Threat Behavior of MyMapsExpress Redirect Hijacker
Developed by Mindspark Interactive Network, MyMapsExpress is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) that spreads primarily via Software Bundling & its official website, https://www.mymapsexpress.com/.
According to the information available on the internet, Mindspark Interactive Network is known for creating toolbars & programs that may get installed without user’s permission or knowledge. These applications have been observed prompting their download by promising to provide useful information such as PDF Conversion, Current Weather info, Funny Videos, Photos & Memes and Popular Bestselling Books.
The source website of MyMapsExpress Browser Hijacker declares it a useful application that provides amazing street views & city maps for free. It claims to be a helpful application to travelers by rendering them fastest route, GPS Maps, traffic conditions, gas price finders & street views for absolutely no cost.
By making such claims, the developers of MyMapsExpress are successfully able to swindle users effortlessly. Considering it a legit application, users install it on their systems. While this app may appear quite useful initially, it carries out a lot of malign activities on the system soon after its installation.
MyMapsExpress has been declared potentially unwanted due to its capability of getting installed without the user’s consent.
Activities that make MyMapsExpress Evident on the system-
1). Modifies default web-browser settings such as home-page, search engine & new tab functionality.
2). Replaces the default search engine with hp.myway.com.
3). Restricts the user from restoring the old settings. The new settings are automatically reassigned when user attempts to change the settings.
4). User encounters unwanted redirects to hp.myway.com while browsing.
5). Continuously tracks web-browsing activities
6). Records personally identifiable information of the user such as IP Address, visited URLs & search queries.
It is suspected that MyMapsExpress shares the gathered information with third-parties & generates illicit revenue in return.
The reports reveal that threats posed by MyMapsExpress Browser Hijacker are similar menaces caused by DailyFunnyWorld, ReadingFanatic & MyQuickLotto. All these browser-hijacking applications have been developed by Mindspark Interactive Network.
Data Gathered by MyMapsExpress Redirect
Detailed analysis of MyMapsExpress Redirect has revealed that this browser extension continuously tracks online activities of the user & gather sensitive information.
Information collected by MyMapsExpress is conclusive, however is not limited to:
- Username & E-mail Address
- IP Address
- Unique Online Identifier
- Contact number
- Browsing History
- Search Queries
- Geographical Location
- Visited Websites & URLs
- Browser Type
- System Language
- Search Results Clicked
- Pages Viewed & Cookies
It is evident that presence of data-tracking applications such as MyMapsExpress & MyQuickLotto can lead to serious privacy issues, even data theft.
Therefore, we advise users to remove Mymapsexpress.com hijacker from their system as soon as it is detected. Refer to MyMapsExpress Redirect Removal Instructions mentioned below.
Distribution Techniques of MyMapsExpress Redirect
The cyber-criminals use various strategies for MyMapsExpress distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Download Vipre Malware Remover
Removal instruction for MyMapsExpress Redirect
Step A: Remove MyMapsExpress from the Control Panel
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
Step B: Show Hidden Files & Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and un-check the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
Step C: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extensions
Step D: Restore the settings changed by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots () located on the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- From the Drop down menu that appears, click on the “Settings”. A new browser tab will open up, displaying all the settings.
- Now, we will make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, we will enable the “Show Home Button” option. You can select New Tab page or can add Google or any of your preferred browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- After this, we will go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- After this click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can remove Other Search Engines that were added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as your Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the end, we will go to the section “On Startup”. You can select the “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, select the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any of your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very important step and we would like you to pay very close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will appear. On this menu select the last option that reads Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will appear as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the end to save the changes.
How to prevent MyMapsExpress Redirect from infecting your system
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.