Guide to Remove Music Browsing Browser Hijacker
Music Browsing is a potentially unwanted browser add-on that employs deceptive software marketing tactics to sneak in user’s system and alter its browser settings without their permit.
Software Bundling is one such way to stealthily distribute this absurd application along with chosen software. Most system infections hence result from reckless attitude shown by users in downloading free software from freeware download websites.
Music Browsing is a vicious application that is also available for free download in Chrome web store.
To inveigle music enthusiasts to download and install this disguised Browser Redirect Virus, the application claims to:
- Customize your new tab to enable you to have easy access to your favorite sites with a wave of a hand.
- Create playlists & explore new and exciting songs
- Offer easiest and fun way to manage all your music content
- Deliver a cool feature of address bar Music Browsing to enable you to search for music content directly from your search bar.
- To sync your mobile device’s address book with this desktop app to enable you to answer calls and texts from your computer device.
Moreover while installing this malignant application, it prompts user to Accept and Add other similar music apps like Media Start, Go Music, Mega Music search to complete the installation process.
However once the nasty application is installed, users land in a pickle. They fall prey to suspicious browsing activities that refrains them from surfing internet appropriately. Let us see what these dubious activities are.
Music Browsing- Threat Behavior
- Inappropriate Search results: Music Browsing Browser Hijacker when installed modifies browser settings & replaces the browser homepage, search engine and new tab with its own. This ruins user browsing experience as all user searches are redirected to https://search.yahoo.com– a sponsored web domain.
The malicious domain is appended with yahoo.com to mislead users to believe that it is affiliated to the renowned web service provider Yahoo. Attempts to make any changes in url goes in vain as users are reverted to the malicious domain.
- Compromise user Identifiable Data: Music Browsing Browser Hijacker is scripted to constantly monitor user’s online conduct. This renders important user information like banking credentials at stake and can be misused by the criminals to render the victim bankrupt.
- Malevolent ads and pop- ups: Moreover the web pages are flooded with tons of maddening ads and pop-ups. A mere click on these ads can redirect users to malicious websites that may be impaired with other suspicious scripts that can steal user sensitive information.
Also while installing Music Browsing Browser Hijacker users are prompted with an inline notification that openly declares to:
- Read and Change all your data on the website you visit.
- Display notifications
- Communicate with cooperating websites
- Change your search settings to: search.searchmedia.online
Agreeing to these terms lands users to an array of negatives. It is therefore advised to remove this malware as soon as it is detected in the system.
Music Browsing Browser Hijacker once installed modifies the homepage that follows a typical template similar to popular search engines to deceive users. The top right corner of the web-page contains a blue icon adjacent to the address bar where you can search for the desired music or play the default playlist.
The UI (User Interface) of the homepage appears pleasing to beguile users & to compel them stick to the changes made by the deceptive app.
However in lieu to these features users are refrained from the main objective of the search engine, and are displayed with inappropriate search results.
Based on your experience, you also have the provision to provide your valuable feedback about the app and restore the original settings in case you don’t approve of the changes made by Music Browsing Browser Hijacker.
How does Music Browsing Browser Hijacker invade the system?
The cyber-criminals use various strategies for Music Browsing Browser Hijacker distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an i Phones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Name: Music Browsing
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox
Targeted Operating System: Windows
Category: Browser Hijacker
- Homepage, new tab and search engine are replaced with https://search.yahoo.com.
- Appearance of sponsored ads and pop-ups
- Unnatural network activities & occasional sluggishness of the infected device.
Tips to Remove Music Browsing Browser Hijacker
STEP A : Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “lklcbakipdcoeclfpekcebgamelgindl”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “lklcbakipdcoeclfpekcebgamelgindl”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to Music Browsing Browser Hijacker and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
STEP B: Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Left click on the Organize button on the Windows Explorer. A drop down menu will appear.
- On this menu left click on the option that reads “Folder and search options” as shown above. A folder options dialogue box will appear.
- On the View tab under the Advanced settings, Check the option that reads “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck the option that reads “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click on the “OK” button to save your changes. This will make all the hidden files and folders visible to you.
Windows 8 and 10
- On the file explorer toolbar, click on the View
- In the Show/hide section, Click on the “Hidden items” checkbox.
- Click on the options button.
- Under folder options, click on the “View” tab.
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
STEP C: How To Reset Your Browser
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines () which are at the top right corner of the computer screen.
- A Drop down menu will be displayed. On this menu click on the “Help” () button as shown in the image below. The Help menu will be displayed on the screen.
- From this menu click the option that reads “Troubleshooting information“. A new tab will open up with the <strong”>Troubleshooting information.
- On the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the button that reads “Refresh Firefox” as shown in the image below.
- The “Refresh Firefox” message box will pop up on the screen. On this message box click on the “Refresh Firefox” button.
- After this Firefox will close itself and a new window will be displayed which will list the information that is imported. Click on the option that reads “Finish” to complete the task.
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) which is at the top right corner of the computer screen. A drop down menu will appear on the screen. From this menu choose the option that reads “Settings”.
- The Chrome’s settings window will be displayed on the screen. On this screen scroll through the bottom of the page and click on the option that reads “Advanced option” as shown below.
- The Advanced setting options will be displayed on the screen. Scroll through the list of options till you find the “ Reset browser settings” section. Click on the icon as shown below.
- The reset dialogue box will pop up on the screen. From this dialogue box click on the button that reads “Reset”.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon ( ) which is at the top right corner of the browser screen. A drop down menu will be displayed on the screen. From this drop down menu, click on the option that reads “Internet options”.
- The “Internet options” dialogue box will be displayed. Click on the “Advanced” tab. In the Advanced tab click on the button that reads “Reset” as shown in the image below. The “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” section will be displayed on the screen. Now click on the button that reads “Reset” .Precautions: In this dialogue box make sure to uncheck the “Delete Personal settings” option to save your passwords and other important data.
- When it’s done, click on the button that reads “Close” to complete the task. Now close and reopen your browser.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected from Music Browsing Browser Hijacker –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Kaspersky Labs Inc and Bull Guard so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.