Foobaroo.com or FooBaroo or FooSearch is malicious browser extension considered to be a browser hijacker. The search engine can be accessed via foobaroo.com domain or by installing FooBaroo extension.
Once installed the nasty program changes the default homepage, search engine and new tab of Chrome Browser and redirect user searches to https://foobaroo.com/.
The extension is available only on Google Chrome and can be found in Chrome web store.
Unlike other Browser extensions, Foobaroo search engine is plain devoid of additional sponsored icons, links or buttons that redirect users to malicious websites. The search engine simply has a search box to enter the query and a search icon.
When the user downloads the plug-in, it prompts them with an alert asking for following permissions from them:
- Read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- Replace the page you see when opening new tab
- Manage your apps, extensions and themes
Foobaroo Browser Hijacker claims to access users IP, cookies and search history and alleges to sell it to its hosting partners or other parties. This is done to generate relevant search results based on users’ interest and geographical locations to improve search results.
Threats posed by FooBaroo.com Browser Hijacker
Whatever may be the claims, the fact is Fobaroo is a PUP (Potential Unwanted Program) that:
- Modifies user configured browser settings to spy on user online browsing routine. This is done to collect user’s personal identifiable data and banking details that is used to generate revenue by extorting the users or selling it to third parties.
- Also the information collected is used to generate suspicious ads, links and pop-ups to redirect user to other websites that may be malicious and make the system susceptible to other system infections.
- Once installed FooBaroo.com browser Hijacker invades system registry to achieve persistence installation to launch the malicious infection as soon as the system is booted.
Users are therefore advised to avoid using these malicious search engines to make false claims and instead use trustworthy search engines to avoid any problem.
FooBaroo.com Browser Hijacker- Spread Techniques
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win and i Phones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Name: FooBaroo or FooSearch
Browsers Affected: Google Chrome
Targeted Operating System: Windows
Category: Browser Hijacker
Symptoms: Homepage, new tab and search engine are replaced with https://foobaroo.com/
Appearance of sponsored ads and pop-ups
Registry Modification, unnatural network activities and occasional sluggishness of the infected device.
How to remove FooBaroo.com Browser Hijacker from the system?
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Foobaroo.com Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman Pro and Sophos so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.