Guide to Remove eSpeedDownload Search Redirect-
eSpeedDownload Search Redirect is caused by a nasty browser extension named “eSpeedDownload”. It mainly distributes via intrusive advertisements & software bundling. Once installed, it changes the default browser settings such as home-page & search engine of the web-browser without the user’s authorization.
It redirects the searches to unreliable & suspicious sites, rather than displaying relevant searches. In addition to that, it displays infuriating adverts & pop-ups over the search results. A mere click (unintentional/accidental) on these ads can trick you into buying questionable applications & software.
Cyber-security analysts suspect eSpeedDownload Search Browser Hijacker of tracking user’s online activities & harvesting sensitive information.
Impacted users are looking for ways to uninstall eSpeedDownload from their system. In case, eSpeedDownload Hijacker has infected your system, do not worry! Refer to our following comprehensive guide. It includes some of the best possible removal instruction for eSpeedDownload Search & preventive measures.
Threat Summary of eSpeedDownload Search Extension-
||It changes default browser settings, displays ads & promotional banners on the search results. A mere click on ads redirects to unreliable websites.
||It can track your online activities & steal sensitive information such as name, e-mail, IP Address, banking details & passwords.
||Download Removal Tool
Threat Behavior of eSpeedDownload Search Redirect –
eSpeedDownload Search is a malicious browser extension that has been declared as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) by the cyber-security analysts. While the overview of eSpeedDownload Search claims to help the users instantly conduct Internet Speed Test & organize downloaded files easily, many users have reported of its malign behavior.
Installation & Modifications Made by Browser Extension-
Firstly, it enters the system stealthily bundled with other free programs/software offered on various unreliable websites. It gets installed on the targeted system without requiring any human intervention or user permission.
Once installed, it can configure default browser settings by replacing the home-page & new tab functionality with its own malevolent site. It will not let the user restore the old browser settings. The settings brought in by the browser hijacker will be reinstated with every system reboot.
Modifications Bring Profit to Developers-
These modifications bring no good to the users, but help eSpeedDownload Search Redirect developers to generate illicit profit. It redirects the search queries to https://search.yahoo.com. This is done to allow un-monitored online marketing by using Yahoo Search results & minting huge illicit revenue in return.
This ad-supported browser extension displays intrusive adverts & pop-ups on the search pages. While some ads may trick you into buying malicious software, some may re-route you to malware-laden websites.
For the past few years, e-commerce websites have become a common platform for different malware to distribute infection & generate money. One can easily earn tons of cash by simply pushing a significant amount of ads to the screens of computer users. A mere click on the ad or purchase of the promoted service/product bring you money!
Some of the common ways via which the impacted users add money to eSpeedDownload Search Redirect developers are PPC (Pay Per Click), PPV (Pay Per View) & PPA (Pay Per Action).
Not only this, the replaced home-page & search engine also contribute to developer’s earnings. And, that’s the reason eSpeedDownload Search Browser Extension displays ads, promotions & banners soon after its installation.
Common Symptoms that follow the Installation of eSpeedDownload Search:
- Modified Default Home-Page to eSpeedDownload Search.
- The New-tab functionality has been replaced with eSpeedDownload Search.
- The default search engine has been replaced with eSpeedDownload Search.
- Searches are redirected to https://search.yahoo.com.
- Appearance of intrusive ads, banners & promotions over search results.
Data Gathered by eSpeedDownload Search Redirect Hijacker:
Analysis by cyber-security analysts revealed that eSpeedDownload Search is capable of tracking online activities & gathering sensitive information of the impacted users.
As mentioned in the privacy policies of this browser extension, it can harvest private information such as:
- IP Address
- Visited websites/URLs
- Search Queries made
- Clicks made on displayed ads & links
- Installed Browser & its version
- System Operating System
- Hardware Version
- Browsing History
- Banking information such as credit card number, passwords
- Geographical Location
It is evident that the presence of this nasty browser extension is harmful for your online data, digital identity & system. Therefore, if you observe this nasty add-on appended on your Chrome, we advise you to get rid of eSpeedDownload Search immediately.
Follow the removal instructions given below to uninstall eSpeedDownload Extension from your system & protect your data.
Distribution Techniques of eSpeedDownload Search Redirect –
The developers of eSpeedDownload Search Redirect use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Download Vipre Malware Remover
How to remove eSpeedDownload Search Redirect from the system-
STEP A: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “cnbhdbbdefaakpmjbpibaadnhafincnd”.
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click on the “Remove” button to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “cnbhdbbdefaakpmjbpibaadnhafincnd”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and re-open the Chrome browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once the extension is removed.
Step 2: Restore the settings changed by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots () located on the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- From the Drop down menu that appears, click on the “Settings”. A new browser tab will open up, displaying all the settings.
- Now, we will make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, we will enable the “Show Home Button” option. You can select New Tab page or can add Google or any of your preferred browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- After this, we will go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- After this click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can remove Other Search Engines that were added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as your Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the end, we will go to the section “On Startup”. You can select the “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, select the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any of your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very important step and we would like you to pay very close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will appear. On this menu select the last option that reads Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will appear as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the end to save the changes.
How to prevent eSpeedDownload Search Redirect from infecting your system-
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.