Guide to remove CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker from system
CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker is a dubious toolbar which claims to assist users. with a simple calendar to plan out their daily activities. Superficially, CalendarSpark Extension might look like a genuine tool, But, internally it has the ability to make harmful changes to your browser.
This rogue browser extension comes under the category of Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) & browser hijacker. CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker spreads via Software bundling & its official Website. 3 primary reasons to designate CalendarSpark as a browser hijacker are: Alteration of browser settings, Web browser activity tracking & Stealth installation.
Once the browser hijacker is installed, it modifies the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox & Internet Explorer settings. It changes the homepage, new tab URL & default search engine settings to hp.myway.com. Attempts to reset the settings prove futile as the CalendarSpark Extension reverts the settings to hp.myway.com.
Affected users are searching for ways to remove CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker permanently. Read on to know how to remove CalendarSpark from your system.
Threat summary of CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker-
||It changes default browser settings & causes unnecessary redirects.
||It monitors online activities & accumulates personal data of the user such as search queries, username, e-mail & IP Address.
||Download Removal Tool
Threat Behavior of CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker
Declared as a (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program by the cyber-security analysts, the devious CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker distributes via its official download website & Software Bundling.
The overview of CalendarSpark asserts providing an easy-to-use calendar as a daily planner for your activities. It further states that adding the CalendarSpark Extension to Chrome or other browsers will modify the functionality of the New Tab page.
Cybersecurity analysts have found that this browser hijacker is capable of modifying the default search engine & home page settings & replacing it with hp.myway.com. In addition to that, it prevents the users’ from restoring the old settings. Any attempt to change the modifications brought by the browser hijacker is automatically reassigned.
It redirects the searches to hp.myway.com&hampers web browsing experience of the users.
Indicators that make CalendarSpark Extension evident-
- Homepage displays the myway search bar.
- Searches are redirected to myway.com rather than the default search engine.
Information collected by CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker–
Cyber-security analysts suspect that CalendarSpark is capable of carrying out a wide range of malicious activities on the targeted computer.
Some of these activities are:
- Rigorous Monitoring of Browsing Activity
- It gathers IP Addresses& records visited URLs, viewed pages, search queries
- It collects Installed Browser type & Version along with System Operating System & Version
- It can also accumulate Personal Information such as Username, e-mail & contact information
- The information collected by the CalendarSpark Extension can be shared with Third-parties.
It is obvious that such fraudulent actions might pose a significant threat to the privacy & personal identity of the user. Thus if you notice this browser extension installed in your browser, we suggest that you get rid of CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker right away.
Refer to the CalendarSpark removal guide given below & remove this nasty browser hijacker& protect your PC.
Distribution Techniques of CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker-
The cyber-criminals behind CalendarSpark use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Download Vipre Malware Remover
Removal instructions for CalendarSpark Extension
STEP A: Remove unwanted & suspicious browser extension from browsers
Step 2: Restore the settings changed by Browser Hijacker
- Open Google chrome and click on the three vertical dots () located on the top right corner of the Chrome Window.
- From the Drop down menu that appears, click on the “Settings”. A new browser tab will open up, displaying all the settings.
- Now, we will make changes to the appearance section. Under the “Appearances” section, we will enable the “Show Home Button” option. You can select New Tab page or can add Google or any of your preferred browsers under the “Show Home Button” option.
- After this, we will go to the “Search Engine “section.
- Here, make Google or any of your preferred browsers as your default browser in the drop-down menu under the option “Search engine used in the address bar”.
- After this click on Manage Search Engines. Now you can remove Other Search Engines that were added by the browser hijacker. Simply click the three vertical dots () and select the option “Remove from list”.
- You can make Google or any other preferred browser as your Default Search Engine by clicking the three vertical dots () and clicking on the “Make default” option.
- At the end, we will go to the section “On Startup”. You can select the “Open the New Tab page” or can “Continue where you left off”. If you want to open a specific page or set of pages, select the option “Open a specific page or set of pages” and remove any pages added by the browser hijacker by clicking on the three vertical dots () and selecting “Remove”.
- Then, add Google or any of your desired URL in “Add a new page” option under the “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- This is a very important step and we would like you to pay very close attention here. This step has to be repeated with all the shortcuts to the browser that you can locate; like your desktop, start menu and the shortcut pinned to your taskbar. Right click on the shortcut and a context menu will appear. On this menu select the last option that reads Properties.
- A Google Chrome Properties Dialogue box will appear as below. Replace whatever is there in the text box next to the label Target with the following: Make sure that inverted commas are included.“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”
- Click OK at the end to save the changes.
How to prevent CalendarSpark Browser Hijacker from infecting your system-
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and BULL GUARD so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.