Livermony.info – An Adware that annoys the user with excessive pop-ups and fake upgrade notifications.
What is Livermony.info?
Livermony.info is a suspicious domain that gets installed on the system as an adware. It is a dangerous adware that shows pop-ups and banner ads in the web browser when the user is surfing the internet.
It displays fake alerts that prompt the user to upgrade certain in-built utilities of the web browsers such as audio-video, flash etc. It lowers the browser security and displays ads on all the web pages that you open.
This adware gets installed on the system through spam emails, clicks on suspicious links and torrents. The main mode of infection is through software bundling. Software bundlers are freeware that can be downloaded from third party websites. These software bundlers contain additional software which the user is not informed about clearly. If the user rushes through the installation without properly selecting their installation preferences, then livermony.info adware can get installed on the machine.
Livermony.info – Threat Behavior
Livermony.info is a malicious adware that installs itself silently on the user’s PC. This adware displays pop-up ads and banner ads in the web browser causing the user browsing experience to suffer. This adware also displays notifications that prompt the user to agree to download various add-ons and browser utilities.
Livermony.info ads are highly customized according to user search queries and usher the user to suspicious web pages. These web pages are dangerous and can cause malware to be automatically downloaded on the system.
The repeated notifications for downloading audio- video and flash utility upgrades for the web browser should not be clicked. If the user clicks these upgrade notifications then their PC can become a victim to other dangerous malware such as trojans and ransomware.
Livermony.info steals user data such as usernames, passwords, banking details, credit and debit card details etc. It may also make changes to the registry key.
Livermony.info tracks user queries and redirects them to different unknown web pages. This causes the web browser to become sluggish and unresponsive due to constant redirects. It occupies the system memory and hinders the efficiency of the other program.
The data collected by Livermony.info can be sold by hackers to third parties who can then use this data to extort money from the user or cause harm in any other way.
How did Livermony.info get installed on your system?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an iPhones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Name – Livermony.info
Category –Potentially unwanted Program (PuP), Adware, Browser Hijacker
Browsers affected – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge
Targeted operating systems – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 10
Symptoms – Banner and Pop-up ads in the browser, tracks user queries, prompts fake browser utility upgrades, lowers web browsers security settings.
How to Remove Livermony.info adware from the PC?
The user should not allow Livermony.info to stay in the system and track their browsing habits. This malicious adware should be immediately removed from the system. You should not attempt to remove this adware without proper knowledge.
If your system is infected by this virus then you should follow the adware removal guide and systematically delete livermony.info from the various locations that it has infiltrated on the PC. Follow these Livermony.info removal guide and keep your system free from virus threats.
STEP A – Remove the Browser Extensions installed by Livermony.info adware?
Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots ( ) i.e.Menu option which are located at the upper right corner of the Chrome Window.
- Find and click on More tools from the drop down menu that is displayed & select Extensions or you can open a Chrome window and type “chrome://extensions” in the address bar.
- Check the developer mode option which is located opposite to extensions heading on the top of the Chrome window. By enabling the developer mode, additional details and option related to all the installed extensions will be displayed. One of the details that will be displayed is the ID. ID is the folder name created by the extension at the location “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”.
- Locate the extension you want to uninstall or delete. Copy and paste the folder name opposite to the ID Tag of that extension into a notepad file. In this case the folder name is “Livermony.info”
- Now, uncheck the enabled option next to the extension in question. Make sure you also click the trash icon to delete the extension from the browser. It is important to note that even after uninstalling and deleting the extensions from the browser, the extension might not uninstall properly. Thus, it is a good practice to make sure that we have deleted the folder as mentioned in step 3.
- Make sure that you have made the hidden files and folders visible.
- Open My Computer and go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions”. Now, look for folder with the name as specified in Step 4 i.e. “Livermony.info”. Delete the folder if present.
- Close and reopen the browser. It is also advisable to restart your computer once done.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on three horizontal lines ( ) at the top right corner of the Firefox Window and select the Add-ons option.
- On the Add-ons manger page, select and click on the Extensions tab as shown below.
- Find the extensions related to Livermony.info and click on the remove button.
- In addition, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. If this extension was bundled with some other software, then make sure to delete that as well.
- On your Mac Desktop, click on the option that reads “Safari”.
- A drop down menu will appear as shown below. From this menu chose the option that reads “Preferences”.
- The Preferences window will appear on the screen, where the list of all your safari extensions will be shown.
- On the list displayed at the left side of the screen, select the Extension you want to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to get rid of the extension.
STEP B – Remove Livermony.info from the registry key.
- Type “Regedit” in search box / Run Box, select it and press Enter.
- An authorization dialog box will appear, then you just have to click “Yes”. (The dialog box appearance may vary depending on OS used. For Windows 10 the the dialog box looks like the first screenshot and for windows 7 it appears like the second screenshot)
- In the registry editor, take the backup of the current registry settings before making any changes in case you want to revert to old settings later. For this, Click on File option in the menu and select Export. Save the entry at a known location.
- From the Menu, Click Edit and Select Find.
- Enter Livermony.info and click Ok in the search box.
- Select and delete suspicious enteries.
STEP C – Restore the System Files and Settings.
Restore your system files and settings
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Vipre and 360 Total Security so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.