Guide to Remove SocialHub Adware
SocialHub is a suspicious browser extension classified as an Adware or PUP (Potentially unwanted Program). The malware promotes the advertisements as ‘Ads by SocialHub’ on your computer. The ads displayed by SocialHub Adware usually appear on e-commerce sites such as Amazon, ebay, Myntra, Jabong. The adware tricks the user by displaying tempting ads offering the purchase of goods and services at appealing prices. Click on these ads redirects users to malicious websites owned by scammers.
Adware like SocialHub are designed by cyber criminals to promote their website and drive some traffic. Ads displayed by this adware generate revenue for the developers, as they run on pay- per click advertising scheme.
Successful installation of this program on your computer affects mostly the homepage and default search tool of the popular web browsers like Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet explorer, Safari etc. Users encounter strange modification of their browsers & regular redirect to suspicious sites become a typical routine. It is therefore advised to get rid of this malware as soon as it gets installed on the computer.
How does SocialHub Adware invade the system?
The adware is known to spread over the internet via popular third party software. Official websites also market SocialHub Adware claiming to provide better web browsing experience via this feature.
- Free Software Download: Users are often lured to download third party apps available on various websites and sometimes social media channels for free. SocialHub Adware is distributed by inserting its payload to the main software program. The infection code is not revealed to the users until they opt for Advanced or Custom configuration options. Going for recommended settings during the installation may lead to unintentional download of this PUP along with the desired app. It is therefore always advised to select Advanced or Custom setting option. This gives information about the presence of additional programs and their installation can be opted out by users.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. Therefore it is advised to avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuffs.
Threats posed by SocialHub Adware
SocialHub acts as a Browser Add on that quickly adds its extension on the browser and modifies browser settings once infiltrated in the system. The nasty malware replaces the browser home page and search results with its own. The motive behind this adware design is to earn easy money by deceiving users.
- The pernicious adware monitors user online activities, and analyzes system cache and cookies to display engaging ads that catch user attention. The ads are sponsored and a click on these may redirect users to suspicious websites and make your system susceptible to other system infections. This makes system vulnerable to other malware invasion.
- The nasty system infection keeps an eye on user browsing activities to gather confidential information like user banking details.
- SocialHub adware infestation may lead to unsolicited download of malicious free program on user system. This may compromise system storage and render it sluggish.
Changes in browser’s parameters, slew of pop-ups and constant redirection shows that SocialHub Adware infiltration requires urgent intervention. Follow the removal instructions given below to eliminate this pernicious system infection as soon as possible.
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Safari, Opera
Targeted Operating System: Windows and MAC
Category: Browser Hijacker
Symptoms: Customized browser settings, registry Modification, unnatural network activities, occasional sluggishness of the infected device. Appearance of annoying ads, download links, pop-ups that may redirect users to another malicious web page and interrupt their browsing activity
Steps to remove SocialHub Adware manually from windows and your Browser
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman pro and Sophos so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.