Guide to remove Fruitfly Adware
Concerned about the security of your computer? Bewildered in picking an ideal model of PC that offers safety and security among loads of alternatives available in the market?
Keeping security measures as the top priority, you may plan on buying MAC machines. However, the research conducted on OS vulnerability would prompt you to see thing in a different light.
Statistics reveal that whooping average of 19 security vulnerabilities were reported everyday in 2016. Since then, this number has skyrocketed in a nasty trend.
It is surprising to know that Microsoft Windows no longer hosts the top spot in Operating system vulnerabilities. Instead, Apple Mac OS X, the most convincing OS in terms of security is the most vulnerable followed by Apple iOS and Linux kernel.
The recently discovered Fruitfly Adware outbreak that has been prevalent for more than 13 years allegedly infected around thousands of MAC systems in America.
This Adware is designed to gain unauthorized access to protected computers of government organizations. For instance systems that were majorly compromised were owned by:
- Local, state and Federal governments
- Police department
- Companies owed by both Private and Government sector
What is Fruitfly Adware and how is it distributed?
is a malicious pop-up display application that seems to be promising entertainment software in disguise. This malicious adware program is configured to install stealthily in the system via various deceptive tactics.
The cyber-criminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win an i Phones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Once infiltrated, this pernicious app is configured to make modifications in Apple Operating system to schedule pop-ups on victim’s PC.
This nasty OS infection lurks in the background and eats up your system resources and Internet bandwidth rendering your system sluggish.
Major Threats posed by Fruitfly Adware
Fruitfly Adware is specifically designed to profuse suspicious ads and pop-ups on victim’s browser window. Accidental or deliberate click on the ads executes a malicious script that runs in the background giving its authors the ability to control victim’s computer. Threat actors use this opportunity to:
- Access stored data
- Upload other malicious files in the victim’s computer making the system susceptible to other system infections.
- Monitor victim’s activities and take screenshots as a proof to earn hush money by extorting users.
- Stealthily turn on the camera and microphone of victim’s system to covertly record videos and audios of user activities and use it against them.
- Record user’s keystrokes associated with pornography and use it to intimidate victims to disclose embarrassing and discreditable information.
- Retrieve user sensitive information like banking details and deprive them of their hard earned money.
- Develop a control panel for Fruitfly malware to modify system settings and develop a visual interface allowing its authors to spy on user activities in real time. This real time surveillance on user activities allowed cyber maniacs to collect and record personal information that includes tax records, medical records, and Internet searches performed etc.
The reasons mentioned above are convincing enough to prompt immediate removal of Fruitfly adware from your self-touted anti-malware MAC system.
Browsers Affected: Safari
Targeted Operating System: MAC OS X
Symptoms: Bombardment of sponsored ads and pop-ups on browser screen, unnatural network activities, occasional sluggishness of the infected device, system files and folders infected.
Steps to remove Fruitfly Adware manually from your MAC system.
Step A – Remove Fruitfly Adware from MAC.
1) Open Finder and Navigate to the Application that you want to remove.
2) Change the two drop down menus present above the Search box to “System Files” and “Are Included” to view all the associated files that need to be removed. However be cautious while doing so as some of the files may not be related to the malicious app.
3) Select the files to be deleted and drive them to trash.
Step B – Remove malicious extensions from your browser
- On your Mac Desktop, click on the option that reads “Safari”.
- A drop down menu will appear as shown below. From this menu chose the option that reads “Preferences”.
- The Preferences window will appear on the screen, where the list of all your safari extensions will be shown.
- On the list displayed at the left side of the screen, select the Extension you want to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button to get rid of the extension.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like Hitman Pro and Avira so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.