Content Push News is a rogue application that installs stealthily in the system. The application lures user to install it by offering a quick access to news and popular sites. However, on installing, it bombards user browser screen with promotional contents and commercials all the time. This has a major impact on system performance as the ads displayed consume system memory and render it sluggish.
The motive behind designing this malicious program is solely monetary. The advertisement banners displayed are sponsored and the discount coupons and offers shown is a trick to lure users to click on it to generate Pay per Click revenue. However most of these offers are not real.
The malicious program tries to invade system registry in order to achieve persistence. This makes the removal of this nasty infection difficult from the computer system. Hence users are advised to remove this rouge application as soon as possible from the system.
Threats posed by Content Push News Adware
Infestation of this malicious program in the system may make the system susceptible to potential threats. Accidental or deliberate clicks on the suspicious ads displayed by the pernicious system infection may redirect users to virus infested page. This may result in the installation of other malware threats in the system.
Also ads displayed consume internet bandwidth and hence makes internet surfing slow for users.
Infiltration of this noxious OS infection may also result in the installation of other malicious program in the system without user consent.
How does the infection invade the system?
The cybercriminals use various strategies for malware distribution which include –
- Software Bundling: Software bundling is the process in which a malicious program is distributed with other free software, to get an unnoticed entry into your computer system. When a user installs a free application, the malicious programs gains a front door entry with the free application, the user has downloaded. Thus, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the installation screens while installing these free applications.
- Infected Storage Devices: Your system can also get infected by using removable media such as USB hard drives and jump drives without scanning them with an anti-virus.
- Spam Emails – Spamming is the most economic and common method used for the distribution of such malware. The targeted users get genuine looking emails which contain .doc, .txt, and other similar attachments. These attachments can be named as anything which can grab the user’s attention and triggers him/her to open the attachment. As soon as the user opens this attachment, the malware infects the user’s computer system.
- Malicious Websites or Malevolent Advertisements: The malicious websites are the ones which are created just for promoting the malware infections. Such websites include but are not limited to porn sites, torrent sites and other free downloading platforms. By visiting such websites, the adware infects the user’s computer without permission. Fake advertisements and updates like Flash player and windows updates which ask the user to update to the latest version are a few examples. When the users click on such links, their computer system gets infected. That is why, it is highly recommended to resist clicking on such links. Also avoid clicking on advertisements offering free stuff such as Win and i Phones, cars or free overseas trips etc.
Name: Content Push News
Browsers Affected: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox
Targeted Operating System: Windows
Category: PUP (Potential Unwanted Program)
Symptoms: Appearance of sponsored ads and pop-ups
Registry Modification, unnatural network activities and occasional sluggishness of the infected device.
How to remove Content Push News Adware from the system?
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the PUP.
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected –
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like BULL GUARD and Hitman Pro so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.