What is Win Tonic PUP?
Win Tonic PUP is a fake program that claims to optimize the user’s system and offer its services to remove any threats.
Win Tonic PUP displays a fake message which notifies the users that their system has been infected by various threats. It displays a list of threats that contain registry entries, malware, junk files etc. Once the user tries to remove these threats, it cues the user to buy its paid version to remove the fore-mentioned threats.
This tactic is used by hackers to generate money from unsuspecting users who take this app to be genuine software.
Users who already have their systems optimized and virus free will be shown the message that their system is safe. It simply clears the list of threats it has displayed before.
Win tonic PUP – Threat Behavior
The Win Tonic PUP UI looks like a legitimate PC optimizing software that provides the functionality to perform a system scam. The displayed issues by Win Tonic PUP may be completely legit apps, services and registry entries on the system. It displays them as threats to panic the user to buy the paid version of this software.
Upon installation in the computer system Win Tonic PUP makes changes to the program files to add these files mentioned below:
Following registry entries are also created by Win Tonic PUP:
A scheduled task is created by Win Tonic PUP which cannot be easily terminated in the application settings.
Win Tonic PUP – Modes of Distribution
Win Tonic PUP has many modes of infecting computer systems:
Direct Download – A Fake error message detecting a threat in the user’s system is displayed in the web browser which prompts the user to download this software. Unwary users may fall for its trap.
Web links – It can promote itself as a system optimizer tool & the users may download it from different websites thinking that they can keep their system optimized.
Software Bundles – Installing third party software without going through all the installation steps can infect the system with unwanted software. Users often never check the installation steps in the installation wizard and try and rush to the final step to install the software quickly. An Advanced/ Custom installation should be performed and the user should deselect any program offered alongside the freeware.
Domain Page of Win Tonic PUP – Users can download the Win Tonic PUP from the pctonics.com webpage.
Win Tonic PUP – Threat Summary
Name – Win Tonic PUP
Category – PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), Malware, Fake PC Scanner
Targeted Operating Systems – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 10
Symptoms – Displays a fake error message showing that the user’s system is infected with a number of different threats, Prompts the user to buy its paid application to get rid of the threats, Creates registry entries, Adds its own files in the program files folder, creates an unwanted task that is difficult to terminate.
How to Remove Win Tonic PUP from the Computer System?
Users should consider removing Win Tonic PUP from their system because it doesn’t remove malware or other threats. It does not perform any System optimization as it claims.
The Paid version is quiet expensive and it is just a scam to hoax the user into spending their hard earned money.
Given below are the steps to remove Win Tonic PUP from the computer system:
STEP A – Uninstall Win Tonic PUP from the Control Panel
Note: Before we begin, try to remember how the extension got downloaded on your computer system. Generally, these programs come bundled with free applications that we download off the internet. It is a good practice to locate and uninstall such programs while removing the Browser Hijacker/ Extensions.
- Click on the “Start” button on the bottom left corner of your screen. A Start menu will be displayed as shown below. From this menu select the option that reads “Control Panel”.
- In the window that will be displayed, click the option “Switch to classic view”.
- This will display all the options/icons available to you. From the displayed icons, click on the icon that reads “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Select the “Uninstall a program” option from the “Programs” category. A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Select the programs related to Win Tonic PUP and click on the Uninstall button.
- Right click on the “Start” button located at the lower left corner of the screen. From the Start menu, click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” Window will be displayed on the screen. Click on “Uninstall a Program” option from the “Programs” category.
- The “Programs and Features” window will be displayed on the screen. A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Scroll though the list of programs and select the programs related to Win Tonic PUP and then click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Right click on the “Windows logo” on the lower left side of the computer screen. From the drop down menu, select and click on “Control Panel”.
- The “Control Panel” window will be displayed. From this window select “Uninstall a program” option form the “Programs” category.
- A list will populate on the screen displaying all the programs.
- Select the programs related to Win Tonic PUP and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- In the confirmation box, click on the box that reads “OK” to save changes.
STEP B – Remove the Registry entries made by Win Tonic PUP using Safe mode with networking
To restart the system to Safe Mode with Networking, if already switched ON then follow the below steps:
- Type “Regedit” in search box / Run Box, select it and press Enter.
- An authorization dialog box will appear, then you just have to click “Yes”. (The dialog box appearance may vary depending on OS used. For Windows 10 the the dialog box looks like the first screenshot and for windows 7 it appears like the second screenshot)
- In the registry editor, take the backup of the current registry settings before making any changes in case you want to revert to old settings later. For this, Click on File option in the menu and select Export. Save the entry at a known location.
- From the Menu, Click Edit and Select Find.
- Enter Win Tonic PUP and click Ok in the search box.
- Select and delete suspicious enteries.
STEP C – Remove the services started by Win Tonic PUP using safe mode with Command Prompt
Restart System using Safe mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7/ Vista/ XP
- Click on Windows icon present in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
- Select and click Restart.
- When the screen goes blank, keep tapping F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- With the help of arrow keys on keyboard, Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list and press the Enter Key. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Click on the username and enter the password (if any).
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press and hold the Shift Key and simultaneously click on the windows icon present in the lower left corner of your computer screen.
- While the Shift key is still pressed click on the Power button and then click on Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings.
- When the Startup Settings screen appears which is the first screen to appear after restart, select and click on Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt. The system will then restart to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Click on the username and enter the password.
Once the system starts, ensure to use an account with administrative privilege to access Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
After the user enters admin credentials, Command prompt window is displayed wherein you are entitled to enter the below commands:
- Type the command “sc delete Win Tonic PUP” in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Type “exit” to exit the command prompt and restart the system in safe mode with command prompt.
STEP D – Protect your System using Windows Defender
Protect your system with Windows Defender
Tips to prevent your computer system from getting infected
- Keeping the Operating System Updated- In order to remain protected and avoid such infections, it is recommended to keep your Operating System updated by enabling the automatic update on your system. The systems with outdated or older versions of Operating System become an easy target for the attackers.
- Resist clicking on spam emails – One of the major techniques used for malware distribution is forwarding spam emails to the user. The system gets infected as soon as the user clicks on the attachment. These mails appear to be genuine, so be aware and resist falling for these tricks.
- Keep an eye on third party installations- It is quite important that you take due care while installing any third party applications for they are major source of such infections. Such malware programs come bundled with the free applications thereby requiring the user to remain cautious.
- Regular periodical backup- In order to keep your data and files safe, it is recommended to take regular back up of all your data and files either on an external drive or cloud.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection- We strongly recommend the use of antivirus protection/internet security in your PC like 360 Total Security and Kaspersky so that it remains safe.
- Enable the Ad Blocker/Popup Blocker in your browser- Enabling the popup blocker/ ad blocker in your chosen browser will help you to stay protected from annoying adware.